Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Pastor Dances...

...for Jesus.

And...THAT is comforting.

When my husband, Brian & I attend the Powhatan Campus of Powhatan Community Church, the children always go upstairs to Power Jam and we sit to the far left of the stage...diagonal to the center spotlight.

Why?

I have no idea.

But today, while the band (who were AMAZING! Including, Beth Stoddard, Alex Sabatini, Sandra Moore, Nate Wheeler, Tony Stoddard, Andy Vaughn and yes, the infamous, KEVIN SALYER...if you missed church today...you MUST go on-line and watch it!)  sang a newer song, which spoke of how the blood of Jesus saves us even when we are at out worst, and as I became wrapped up in my own time of praise, my eyes scanned the crowd from the left to the right, and I saw hundreds of people worshipping in their own, private way.

Some were singing, LOUDLY.

Some were bouncing.

Others were jumping up and down like they were at a ZUMBA class.

Several were quietly participating, rocking slightly or tapping their right toe.

Dozens, upon dozens, were stomping their feet so hard it appeared they had attended "The Minister Beth Stoddard Class for Praise and Worship", me being the STAR student.

Many had their eyes closed, hands raised, and hearts completely open to hear HIS voice.

I am pretty sure during the 5:47 song, I did a little of all of the above.

During a moment while I was taking in the entire picture of the people that I love so dearly on the stage and thanking God over and over and over again for the way each of them have touched my life...for the better..for His gain....

...I saw him.

Our Senior Pastor: Brian C. Hughes.

With the seats arranged as they were, I had a wide-open shot as Brian prepared to come onto the stage to deliver the message (which was also INCREDIBLE food for thought...again...if you missed it...GO ONLINE and watch it!  www.pccwired.net)... which is a miracle in itself...because that is right behind bouncy, stomping, hand raising Mrs. Stoddard...

But I saw him.

Our pastor.

Worshipping.

Singing.

Praising.

D.A.N.C.I.N.G.

I pointed Susan's Brian out to my Brian and said, "THAT is why I love and trust that man so much. He isn't afraid to dance for Jesus."

Although I will admit, at times, he looked like he may have been having a 'seizure' for Jesus, but I didn't care.

Not only did I not stop to make fun of his "creative movement worship style", but I joined in on his completely free, open, and pure worship, praise, and cries of praise.

You see, he did not know that anyone could see him. 

He just knew that his sins, and all of our sins, were, and continue to be, washed away by His Majesty's crimson blood.

It. Was. Beautiful.

I, like each of you, may not always 110% agree with Brian Hughes on the grey areas...but he is 1,010% right when he speaks on the blacks and whites in the bible.

And that is why he was dancing.

"For the Bible tells us so..."

THAT is why I love, trust, honor, and believe in the words that come from our Pastor's mouth.  (And I really want to try to heed more and more to his words for I complete believe they are words of God.)

Yep, because he dances.

Who knew?

God did...

If you didn't, come visit us...we have three campuses, and four different services, on two different days.

You. Won't. Regret. It.

And neither will He.

"He" being the Big Guy Upstairs.

"Susan Hughes"...not your Brian OR mine.


This is Senior Pastor Brian Hughes and Our Children's Pastor Susan Hughes: She dances, too.  And teaches little people to do it, as well.  She is, equally, a gift to my life and to my family's lives.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Kelley. What a great post. Thanks for sharing this behind the scenes look at a PCC service. I loved the way you detailed this from your perspective. Wow. Perfect ending to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the stomping class, if you don't mind me amending the name...how about "Right Reverend Beth's Leg Stompin' Knee-Bustin' Arm Wavin' Holy Ghost Revival Praise and Worship Academy" Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete